Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Part 1: Doll Quilt

This is a tutorial on how to make a doll quilt with your cricut:

Before you do anything, decide what size you want your dolls to be. I wanted mine to be as big as they could but still produce a good quantity. I discovered that on 24x12 mat, I could fit 4 dolls. First I cut 2 out on paper to see how far away they cut from each other and to see how far away the image started from the edge of the mat.
This way I could determine how much fabric I needed and how much could fit in the space I had. After doing this, I figured out I could fit 4 dolls that were 8 inches tall on the 24x12 mat on a piece of fabric that was 24 x 8 1/2 inches. If you don't have a 24x12 mat, you can do 2 on a 12x12 mat.
 I took my skin colored fabric, ironed it, and then ironed on the HeatnBond ULTRA HOLD. Follow the directions on the label.

After I ironed my fabric onto the ULTRA HOLD HeatnBond, I cut out the fabric to the sizes I needed. 24 x 8 1/2 inches in size. If you get a piece of fabric that is 45 wide you only need to buy 19 inches. (19 so you can have 2 extra inches for shrinkage, you will want your final product to be 17 inches long.
 After cutting my pieces I was left with (2) 24 x 8 1/2 fabric pieces.
Then I removed the paper and placed the rubber side of the fabric face down on the mat. Press firmly. I used I brand-new mat for this project as well as a new deep cut blade. These are the settings I used:

Blade: 4
Speed: low/ minimum
Pressure: max
size: 8 inches
(if you have an expression- quantity 4)

I also used the blackout feature so that the eyes and mouth wouldn't be cut out as I plan on embroidering them on.
 Then I peeled off each doll. This is the exciting part!

 This is what you should see on your mat when you're done peeling them off.
 After doing the whole process twice- you will have 8 cut out dolls!!! YAY!

Stay tuned for the next tutorial!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Super cool Ames. I can't wait to see what it ends up looking like!!!

Courtenay Beth said...

GREAT tutorial!!! I am gearing up to cut some fabric with my cricut TODAY! You are so cool, can't WAIT to see what you do with those cute dolls!!!! I am jealous of your cricut expression, I only have the one that does 6x12, ah, maybe someday! :) Great job, can't wait to see more!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

So Cute!!! love you!!